If I am not in the floodplain, will I be required to buy flood insurance?

We have been advised that mortgage lenders will require you to purchase flood insurance if your property is in
a 100-year floodplain. If it is in a 500-year floodplain, you also may be required by your lender to purchase flood
insurance. It is the lenders decision, flood insurance is available through your insurance agent. If you do not
have federally-related financing (i.e., if you do not have a mortgage, loan, etc.) you are not required by federal
regulations to have flood insurance - although it is available for you to purchase.