Floodplain Development Permit Requirements

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) establishes certain building design and construction requirements for habitable buildings (dwellings, building additions) and non-habitable buildings (garages, studios, barns, etc.) within floodplains. Requirements also apply to site grading, dredging, fill placement, mining, drilling, and temporary and permanent storage of equipment and other materials within the floodplain. Within the unincorporated Ventura County, development proposed within a floodplain requires a Floodplain Development Permit from the Public works Agency prior to the issuance of a Building Permit or Grading Permit. These requirements are set out in Title 44 Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 59 and 60, as well as in County of Ventura Floodplain Management Ordinance 3841, as amended.  Please be aware that all building and site elevations must be based on the NAVD 1988 datum.

Compliance with these requirements helps minimize the risk of flood damage to new and substantially improved/ repaired / remodeled buildings. Compliance also helps to ensure that the County’s flood protection program remains in good standing with the NFIP thereby benefitting all floodplain property owners by being able to obtain as low a flood insurance coverage premium as possible.

The following documents provide a good overview of building requirements within a floodplain. Visit the Library section of this website for even more helpful technical documents.

Incorporating all applicable flood protection requirements in your initial construction plan submittal to the County can help expedite the permit review process and avoid possible costly building design revisions later on in the process.

More Information:

Ventura County Board of Supervisor’s approved 2022-2023 Fee Schedule A


Floodplain Ordinance No. 4521


FIRM Zone definitions


Letter of Map Change Map


How to Find a Map Change on FEMA’s website


County of Ventura Floodplain Development Permit application


How to make a Flood Map for Your Property (FIRMette)